Sunday, November 22, 2020

Crowning Gory!

 If the title makes you think of Trump,  I wouldn’t blame you. If after four years of being President, having a (not so successful) model wife and daughter and owning a beauty pageant he still couldn’t find a decent hairdresser or wig maker, it makes me wonder if all decent hairdressers turned him down, or was it him turning down all that is decent in life. The good thing is, still without a good hair do and with much ado about everything, the Trump is fading away. He’ll never be gone. We will  always remember him as an orange hologram floating beneath an orange tuft and I’m glad he’s fading away and Biden is fading in like a ghost of elections past. A white, old man, who’s kinda, sorta been in the white house and will be back there but will always be a shadow of Obama. The black man with a white shadow!


What I really wanted to talk about was, the series 'The Crown’ on Netflix. Yes, Diana is wonderful and the young queen is great and Camilla is just as horsey as in real life and onscreen she can have her hay and eat it too. Phillip is not as deranged and racist as he really is. Gimme a break. The series wants to portray the royal family as real individuals, blah blah. And some more blah.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love the show. I watched all four seasons and can’t wait for another. But me, I accept my shallowness. I accept I’m a hypocrite. I don’t believe in royalty and will (hopefully) never curtsy to one, but they make for a really interesting story line.



My beef is with the show-makers, the networks, the actors themselves. How could they? Why should they? After Diana’s tragic death, didn’t everyone get all holier than thou and said it was the paparazzi…they should have let her be? Why is there a show being made about a family that is still a family? Don’t they have enough scrutiny to begin with?  I say it not with a shred of concern for the filthy rich castle dwellers but just plain logic. Diana courted the media, flirted with cameras, used interviews and even then it is a common belief that she was hounded by the paparazzi. From what little I know of Lilibet, is that I know very little of her. If she had wanted to reveal more she could have and would have. 



To see your life played out like this is tragic. The Crapdashians would enjoy it. They live on camera and a show or two more about them, would just make them sell more lipsticks and underwear. I am aware of the zillion documentaries made about the royal family and I know one more doesn’t hurt - that much. It still must hurt and is wrong. It’s warped. The royals live a life not unlike the Truman show and then to have it mirrored all the time is another degree of bizarre. What is the superlative degree of bizarre? bizarrest?



What is the monarch’s role in all this? Why would you want to reign over your ‘own’ people when you have a parliament? As if that were not enough,  having  a ‘common wealth’ of colonies is totally deranged. What is common and whose wealth? Everyone’s heard of the Stockholm syndrome where the abductees sympathized with their abductors. There should be a name for the ‘Colonial syndrome’ where FORMER colonies willingly become members of a group headed by their colonizers. How convoluted is that? First you want to be queen in your own country and then you want to be a figure head over nations that shed blood to get rid of you. Hmmm... I guess karma is not a bitch after all!




No comments:

Post a Comment